Welcome to Forest School at Lucy’s Little Forest School:
Forest School is great for children and adults with an established love of the outdoors, as well as those who want their first taste of adventure in the wood. Come and discover new places to go & things to do with your school or family, climb a tree, whittle a stick, feel natural clay in your hands in a wonderful woodland setting.
What is Forest School?
Originally from Scandinavia, Forest School is for children of all ages and adults who can benefit greatly from hands on learning opportunities inherently present in a woodland setting. The philosophy of Forest School is to encourage and inspire children of any age through positive outdoor experiences. We visit woodlands on a regular basis and through play have the opportunity to learn about the natural environment. In an age where many children have few opportunities to be outdoors it offers them a way to learn and experience a broad curriculum in a woodland setting, through regular sessions (minimum of 6 visits) throughout the year. In effect an ‘‘ outdoor classroom’’ children are given appropriately challenging and achievable tasks that build their confidence, skills and independence. The activities lend themselves to teamwork and encourage self-respect, respect for others and awareness of nature. Learning is linked to the National Curriculum and EYFS in innovative and flexible approaches that allows for a range of learning styles providing a safe framework for children to make their own discoveries! Children develop a responsible independence and confidence to take considered risks and initiate their own play and learning while developing a range of personal and social skills that equip them for life. Learning outside can help to engage children from all backgrounds and learning styles. It can reduce stress levels, increase concentration and increase interest in learning for many children.
Forest School helps to develop;
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Communication and social skills
- Physical skills
- Greater understanding and awareness of the natural environment
- Natural motivation and a positive attitude to learning
- The ability to recognise and manage risks
- Responsible independence and confidence to initiate own play and learning
- A healthy life style
Who are the Forest School sessions for?
Children and adults visit wilderness wood regularly or we can come to your school/setting/nursery or woodland, We can work with what you have as an outdoor setting this can vary from woodlands, gardens even an urban setting or concrete play area. We can create a natural world to encourage wildlife, and inspire the children and adults to use the space in a variety of ways.
We work with children and adults varying in ages, we can develop a programme for specific needs and requirements.
What happens at Forest school?
We provide regular visits which work well outside all year round;
Forest School is an inspirational process that involves;
- Woodland skills – tool use from sheaf knife to a hand drill
- Environmental art, create using natural materials.
- Using National Curriculum and EYSF to help guide school visits
- Story telling and music
- Team games
- Shelter building for shade and rain
- Fire lighting, camp-fire cooking and kelly kettle use
- Respect for ourselves, others and the environment
- Seasonal projects
- Child initiated learning responding to children’s ideas for play.
- Children develop responsible independence and confidence to take considered risks and initiate their own play and learning
- Flora and fauna identification
- Education for sustainability
- Mud kitchens
What should I bring?
As the activities will be taking place outside, you should wear comfortable clothing. Depending on the season and the lovely British weather!!!
- Long sleeved shirts and trousers are a good idea but not essential
- Comfortable outdoor shoes
- Waterproof jacket/ trousers
- Hat – for warmth or a sun hat and sun cream
- lunch and a drink – depending on the session
- Fork, bowl and a spoon (Sometimes we will cook on the fire, so it’s a good idea to be prepared).
Guiding principles and criteria for good practice of Forest Schools for your information from the FSA Forest School Association:
1. Forest School is a long term process of frequent and regular sessions in a woodland or natural environment, rather than a one off visit. Planning, adaptation, observations and reviewing are integral elements of Forest school. This tends to be one session a week.
2. Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world. Any natural space can be used from the school grounds to the local park.
3. Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners. The focus being the process of how things are done and not the activity being undertaken.
4. Forest school offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
5. Forest school is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
6. Forest school uses a range of learner- centred processes to create a community for development and learning that is rooted in respect and equality, whereby mutual decision making and reflection time is a key aspect.
Come to a Forest School Session and or discuss Forest School within your school
If you are a parent and would like to discuss please call or book onto one of the Kindlings Forest School Groups, one is a weekday session for 2-6 year olds and the other an after school club for 5+year olds ( more information on What’s on page).
If you are a Nursery or School looking to set up regular Forest School Sessions either at Wilderness Woods or close/within your own school grounds please call to arrange a time to meet either Lucy or Wriggly please see Contact us page.
PLEASE PRINT OFF FOREST SCHOOL BOOKING FORM, COMPLETE AND POST TO MAKE A BOOKING
PLEASE PRINT OFF GROUP BOOKING FORM, COMPLETE AND POST TO MAKE A BOOKING
” The best classroom and the riches cupboard is roofed only by sky” Margaret Mc Millian